Synthesis of activated carbons (ACs) from grape seeds by physical activation.
Lebanese University (LU) in Lebanon
University of Granada (UGR) in Spain
Dr. Sergio Morales Torres from UGR and Dr. Joyce Kheir from LU.
April 25, 2022
April 1, 2022
Activated carbons, Grape seeds, Physical activation
Profile & Skills Required
Industrial chemistry & Petrochemical engineering student who validated nine semesters by 2022.
Promoting Research Work
All relevant results will be published in international journals and presented at national and international conferences. In addition, if these materials perform well, the patentability of any new results will be considered before any public disclosure.
Textural and chemical characterization of the grape seeds samples will be carried out by different techniques, and their behavior as adsorbents in the removal of a water pollutant will be assessed. The results obtained will be compared with commercial activated carbons and others carbons materials from UGR Team.
- Synthesis of ACs from grape seeds by physical activation with CO2. The activation temperature (700, 800, 900 °C) will be studied.
- Textural and chemical characterization by physical adsorption of nitrogen, SEM, FTIR, TG/DTG, and measurements of the point of zero charges.
- Removal of 5-Fluorouracil in aqueous solution.
Some operating parameters will be optimized such as adsorbent load, pollutant concentration, temperature, etc. The experiments will be carried out with the ACs prepared and two other materials, in particular the activated cloth and a microporous carbon xerogel prepared by the UGR Team.
- Sonia Judith Segovia-Sandoval, Luisa M. Pastrana-Martínez, Raúl Ocampo-Pérez, Sergio Morales-Torres, María Selene Berber-Mendoza, Francisco Carrasco-Marín, Synthesis and characterization of carbon xerogel/graphene hybrids as adsorbents for metronidazole pharmaceutical removal: Effect of operating parameters,Separation and Purification Technology,Volume 237, 2020, 116341, ISSN 1383-5866, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2019.116341">.
- Esteves BM, Morales-Torres S, Maldonado-Hódar FJ, Madeira LM. Fitting Biochars and Activated Carbons from Residues of the Olive Oil Industry as Supports of Fe- Catalysts for the Heterogeneous Fenton-like Treatment of Simulated Olive Mill Wastewater. Nanomaterials. 2020; 10(5):876. https://doi.org/10.3390/nano10050876.
- Bruno M. Esteves, Sergio Morales-Torres, Luis M. Madeira, Francisco J. Maldonado-Hódar, Specific adsorbents for the treatment of OMW phenolic compounds by activation of bio-residues from the olive oil industry, Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 306, 2022, 114490, ISSN 0301-4797, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2022.114490.
Any omission or non-compliance with the instructions requested will result in the Applicant's ineligibility.Any application that does not comply with the instructions will be rejected.
- Guide for Applicants.
- Application form N°1.